Friday, April 2, 2010

Chocolate Layered Angel Cake

In February we moved to a new house, to celebrate I made a feast and served this as the dessert.

I also broke the rules. I think I like doing that.

I have been told over and over "You can't make Angel Food without an Angel Food pan."

Can I use a bunt pan?

"Oh no! You can only make Angel Food cake in an Angel food pan."

So like a good little cook I always borrowed a pan when I made angel food cake.

It seemed every time I would look to buy a pan they were more then I wanted to spend at the time, I'm sure I saw one at a different store that was a better quality or the same price, and this last time...the don't have any in stock.

So I said fine. I decided to do what I could with what I have (which I try to do alot). Obviously I do not have a special Angel Food cake pan...I wonder what Alton Brown thinks of them? He is always talking about multi tasking items and not getting an item that will only do one job...So I looked at what I do have.

I have a couple of bunt pans...a cool heart shape and the other a classic bunt shape...a microwaveable pan with a possible angel food pan/tube insert...not really comfortable with that whole mess...oh! I've got it! My Skirt pan! It has a tube in the middle!
I don't know if it has a real name, to me it's just The Skirt Pan. My mom used it to make all the cakes for the barbies that you stick in them...

Like this one from The Cake Cow
Photobucket

That is what I decided to use for this desert.

unfortunately after searching Hershey's website I can't seem to find this recipe or the picture to this cake. You'll have to trust me...or something

Chocolate Layered Angel Cake p.8 Hershey's Chocolate Lover's Cookbook
1 box (about 15 oz.) angel food cake mix
1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
Chocolate Glaze

Basically you pre heat the oven to 375. Mix the Angel food as directed on the box. Split the batter in half and carefully fold in the cocoa powder making sure not to deflate the batter.
The trick to the layers is alternating the plain batter and the chocolate batter. I got a bit annoyed when the picture of the batter in the book looked nothing like mine, but I guess they really know what they are doing and I just pretend.
It doesn't take long to bake only 30-35 mins. I forgot to see if there was high altitude adjustments but it turned out alright. I used a couple of bowls to support the pan with. That's the funny thing about angel food cake, it cools upside down...I wonder why? You know, I really need to see if Alton has a show on it...
Make the Chocolate Glaze just before you take it out of the pan...
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup Hershey's simi-sweet chocolate chips
bring the first 2 to a boil then take off the heat and add the chips. Stir till smooth.
You drizzle to all over the cake before you eat and yes it really adds to it!

This cake was well received by everyone, the kids even asked if they could have it for breakfast (I said no). My Love and I both liked it most when it was still a little warm.
It was so simple to make it left me wondering why Angel Food is one of those foods people make a big deal about...how difficult they are to make, how easy to ruin, easier to just buy... are you kidding me? It is the easiest thing to make so far! And I even broke the rules. Why is this cake one of the scary ones?
Another thing we discovered: It tasted wonderful! If the mix is about 100 times better then the inedible store-bought 'cake' then I want to find out about the from scratch one! Maybe on another adventure?

It reminds me of a cake my friend Maya made...I'll make that one too one of these days!

If you want a simple, yet special dessert so far I'd say this one is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment